Shark Cage Diving
We invite you to jump on board for an exciting day of adventure, education and a whole lot of fun! This once-in-a-lifetime experience of viewing Great White Sharks in their natural habitat will leave you with memories that will last long after your visit to Port Lincoln.
Located in Port Lincoln, South Australia we are privileged to be the only one-day shark cage diving operator who is permitted to use natural fish berley to attract the Great White Sharks to our boat at the Neptune Islands Marine Park. Being permitted to berley provides you with the best possible chance of a shark sightings and productive interaction close to our vessel and cage resulting in a memorable encounter and wonderful photographic opportunities.
Our 1-day Advanced Eco Certified Shark Cage Diving Charters are an Australian first with Port Lincoln being the only place in the Australia where you can cage dive with the magnificent Great White Shark.
We operate day trips all year round and our popular Twilight Tour operates during daylight savings months.
NO diver qualification or previous experience required!
Why choose us?
- Calypso Star Charters is fully licensed by the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources.
- We’re also privileged to be the only one-day shark cage diving operator who is permitted to use natural fish berley to attract the Great White Sharks to our boat at the Neptune Islands Marine Park.
- Being permitted to berley provides you with the best possible chance of a shark sighting and productive interaction close to our vessel and cage resulting in a memorable encounter and wonderful photographic opportunities.
- We only use locally sourced, natural fish product to attract the sharks, our tethered baits are attached by natural fibre twine. We do not condone placing un-natural objects in the water to visually stimulate or attract sharks. If a shark were to consume any part of a synthetic object (decoy) it could certainly harm them. Our practices are conducted with the utmost respect to the welfare of sharks.
- Along with this license, we are proud to be Advanced Eco Certified and our Captains’ are Eco Certified Guides. Receiving this certification provides us with the recognition that we conduct our operations in a way that are environmentally conscious and sustainable whilst also providing an educational component.
- Our Great White Shark sighting history is displayed day by day on our website since January 1st 2011 to assist guests in choosing the best time to visit, we are proudly the only company to offer this honesty and transparency to guests. We also provide daily updates across our social media platforms of current sightings and continue this service at times of low or no shark sightings.
- No Minimum Passenger Numbers. If you're the only person booked we will still go!
- More Departures than any operator. We operate on every available Activity Day and during the summer we operate a twilight charter giving us 2 departures on the same day. The benefit of this is that if your travel plans are disrupted for any reason we are may be able to swap your booking for the next available departure. It also gives us the most comprehensive data set of when sharks have been sighted at Neptune Islands. Currently due to Government regulation there are 4 designated Non Activity Days per fortnight with all operators adhering to the same schedule.
- Our vessel Calypso Star 2 is fitted with a gyroscopic active stabiliser, which has reduced the rolling motion of the vessel by up to 80%. If you are susceptible to seasickness do not compromise with a non-stabilised vessel.
- Generous No Shark Policy. If you are unlucky and miss seeing a Great White Shark underwater you will be offered a refund of $100 if you booked as a diver (back to the spectator price) and receive a voucher of $200 off your next tour with us, this can even be redeemed on our Swim With the Sealions tour which operate regularly from September to May. After a second unsuccessful trip your 3rd and subsequent trips (if you're really unlucky) are priced at $100 each trip to dive. If sharks other than Great Whites are sighted and productively dived with on the day, the No Shark Policy will still apply.
- Largest vessel means fewer cancellations due to bad weather. The trip out can be rough but the Neptune Islands give us good shelter from the waves. Our vessel can accommodate up to 45 guests across 2 decks with ample seating in air-conditioned comfort. 2 hot showers are also provided onboard.
- Actively support SARDI, CSIRO and Flinders University in their ongoing research into the Great White Sharks and their movement patterns around Neptune Islands. We provide logistical support and positions on board our vessel for researchers to conduct observations and tagging.
- 100% Safety record. With over 25 years experience you are in good hands.
Great White Sharks are classified as vulnerable and a protected species in Australia. It’s vitally important that we continue to educate people about the species’ behaviour as well as the significance of their presence of in their ecosystem. At Calypso Star we are proud of our involvement with the CSIRO and Flinders University with their Great White Shark Research.
Click HERE to subscribe to our company newsletter
Itinerary – One Day Shark Cage Diving
- Duration – Full day
- No minimum passengers
- Maximum guests – 45
- VESSEL – MV Calypso Star 2
Pick up - from 6.15am
Pick up is only if the transfer service has been booked
- Transfers are available from most accommodation locations in Port Lincoln for $10 per person for a return fare. Bookings can be arranged at the time of your booking.
- Transfers need to be booked prior to 5.30pm the day before your charter.
- If you are staying at the Port Lincoln Hotel please note that they provide their own free transfer. Please confirm on check in that you are doing the dive to ensure they have you down for the transfer.
Boarding time - 6:30am
Cape Baron Place, Port Lincoln (behind the Marina Hotel)
The Journey - approximately 2.5-3hrs
- We are often accompanied by pods of dolphins and even the odd whale, in season. During the trip, the friendly crew will provide you with information about the fishing industries, the ‘local area’ and the marine life. Take in the spectacular coastal scenery of lower Spencer Gulf and the islands of Thorny Passage.
Time to get in the water!
- Groups up to 8 at a time enter our spacious cage (the largest in Australia).
- Once the sharks arrive, each group will have the opportunity to spend approximately 45 minutes in the cage. Please note that time in the cage can vary and will depend on shark activity and weather on the day.
- Even when you’re not in the water, you don’t miss out — the action from the very spacious upper and lower decks is fantastic so make sure you keep your camera ready!
- We have cameras mounted on the shark cage so you can also sit in the comfort of our saloon and watch the underwater action live streaming
- As well as breakfast, we provide you with morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, plus coffee/tea and filtered water, all included. Soft drinks and bottled water are available for purchase on-board.
- MV Calypso Star II is a fully licensed vessel so the bar is open on the way home for your convenience.
- NO diver qualification or previous experience required!
Return to the Marina
- Due to the nature of the activity we cannot guarantee the exact time we will return to the Marina at the end of the day. The return is subject to weather conditions and shark activity.
- Every effort will be made on the day to give everyone the opportunity to sight sharks, even if this means staying on site for additional time.
- Generally we will return around 6pm but we have returned as late as 9pm.
- Guests are therefore required to stay a minimum of two nights in Port Lincoln, the night before and the night of the charter, to ensure you do not miss any flights.
Itinerary – Twilight Shark Cage Diving
- Duration – Approximately 10 hours
- No minimum passengers
- Maximum guests – 25
- VESSEL – MV Calypso Star
Twilight charters are on board the 60 ft MV Calypso Star, the fastest boat to Neptune Islands Marine Park with the smallest passenger capacity giving you the shortest one day adventure with the same amount of dive time. After your dive enjoy a sunset journey back to Port Lincoln.
- Transfers are available from most accommodation locations in Port Lincoln for $10 per person return. Transfers can be arranged at the time of your booking.
- Pick up times are 15 minutes prior to departure time, starting at 1pm.
If you are staying at the Port Lincoln Hotel please note that they provide their own free transfer. Please confirm on check in that you are doing the dive to ensure they have you down for the transfer.
- 1.15pm behind The Marina Hotel, Cape Baron Place.
- Please check your ticket confirmation to know the correct boarding time.
The structure of the day follows the same as the day trip. It includes afternoon tea, a cooked dinner and snacks throughout your day. Please ensure you have lunch before you board. Tea and coffee is provided. Bottled water, soft drinks and alcohol are all available for purchase on board.
All prices are in Australian Dollars (AUD) and include GST (10% GST).
Click here for up to date conversion information
Come along and watch the action from on board the vessel
Child: $295.00 [child = 16 years and under]
*Additional $100.00 payable if you decide to dive in the cage – Price includes the use of our 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves and mask
NO diver qualification or previous experience required!
Take the plunge and view the sharks face to face from the shark cage
Child: $395.00 [child = 16 years and under]
Price includes the use of our 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves and mask
Seniors Discount of 10% is available upon presentation of a current Seniors Card. Bookings must me made direct with the office to apply. Only one promotional discount will apply for each product. For example with the multiple tour and the seniors discount, only the higher value will apply. The Seniors Discount is not available on charters that operate on Saturday's, Public Holiday's or during the months of December and January.
- Children under the age of 8 are only allowed to enter the water at the Skippers discretion on the day.
- Please book all children under the age of 8 on as a Spectator and if they are permitted to dive the $100 dive upgrade is payable on the day.
- All children under the age of 16 require adult supervision at all times.
- If they are in the water their supervising adult is required to also be in the water at all times. If the child or the adult exit the water the adult or the child will also be required to do so.
- Any guest under the age of 18 needs to have their waiver form signed by a parent or guardian.
Exclusive repeat guest discounts
Have you dived with us before? As a valued guest of Calypso Star Charters we would like to extend you an offer of a $100 discount to come back and shark dive with us again! Valid for travel dates between 1st May and the 30th of September every year (except on Saturday’s). Please contact the office to book to receive your special guest discount. Not to be used in conjunction with the No Shark Policy voucher or any other discounts. Proof of previous booking is required.
Group bookings of ten or more guests are offered a discount of 10%. Please contact our office for more details.
Our Vessel is also available for exclusive hire for a one day charter. This option allows guests complete privacy, exclusive service and maximum Shark Cage Diving time. Please contact our office for pricing and requirements. We will gladly help to make an itinerary that best suits your needs.
How to book?
Click here to book on line is the easiest way! Calypso Star Charters has the latest secure technology, however, if you would prefer to download and print this form, you can complete it then send by email or fax to +61 (8) 8682 6877
Shark Research Donation - Flinders University
- Flinders University's Southern Shark Ecology Group was awarded a Monitoring and Research contract by DEWNR for 3 years from July 2016. This research monitors the visitation patterns and temporary residency period of the sharks that we see. Information is used in the dynamic management of the Shark Cage Diving Industry to guide decisions regarding Non Activity Days. In addition to the contracted research, Flinders University excels in White Shark research and collaborates with research institutions around the world.
- Calypso Star Charters is a proud supporter of Dr Charlie Huveneers and his team. Charlie is a frequent guest on board our charters, tagging sharks and deploying or retrieving monitoring equipment. We provide shark images that are used in a growing ID catalogue. The high frequency of our charters assists in gaining a better understanding of the visitation patterns as some sharks only visit for a day or two each year.
- We are proud to pass on your donations to Flinders University to assist funding White Shark research outside of the monitoring program.
Click here to read more from Dr Charlie Huveneers
We are the only operator in Australia that publicises current and historic sightings!
Use this to help you decide on the best time to come. As we are dealing with a nomadic creature in its natural environment, we cannot suggest when would be the best time. We provide this information to be open and honest with all our guests to help you make an informed decision!
Our average daily success rate since January 1st 2011 is 85%
Recent Great White Shark Sightings
NON ACTIVITY DAYS - Non Activity Days were imposed by the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources in 2013 as a recommendation by the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation). They are a strategy to minimise any potential impact on shark behaviour, site visitation pattern and changes to temporary residency period of sharks to Neptune Islands. 4 days per fortnight are designated as Non Activity Days and all operators adhere to the same schedule.
No Shark Policy
Everyone knows that when dealing with nature there are definitely NO GUARANTEES. We want to make sure that you are well informed about our Shark Policy and that your expectations are reasonable. We can surely do our utmost to ‘lure’ the Great White to us within government specified guidelines however being the wonderful, impulsive & unpredictable creatures that they are we simply cannot change that.
Shark activity varies year to year. To assist you with making your decision on the best time to travel please visit our shark sightings calendar. See our shark sightings
Whilst every effort is made to attract the sharks to our boat, in nature there can be no guarantees. In the event that we don’t see any Great White Sharks, those people who have paid as divers will be refunded $100 taking them back to a spectator price. Refunds will be processed via the same method as the payment was received within seven days of a tour.
All adult passengers will be given a $200 voucher (Children receive $150) to return within a period of 12 months from the date of issue.
THESE VOUCHERS ARE NOT TRANSFERRABLE TO ANYONE ELSE AND PROOF OF ID WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN YOU NEXT CHOOSE TO BOOK.
If no sharks are sighted on the second trip, a voucher will be issued for the third trip at $100 per person, to come on board as a diver.
If no sharks are sighted again on subsequent trips, a voucher will be issued at $100 per person to come on board as a diver.
Shark Cage Diving Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question we have not answered on our website?
Can you please email us the question so firstly we can answer it and secondly maybe add it to the FAQ's for other people who could be wondering the same? Thanks!
Click here for a pdf version of our brochures
What to bring
To ensure the comfort of your trip you will need to bring:
- Bathers and a towel.
- Your Camera, if you have one. If you do not we do have GoPros available to hire on board and a highlights package is available to purchase.
- Charging cables. USB points are available on our vessels.
- Comfortable clothing: Remember to pack some warm clothes as it can get cool on the water (even in summer). A warm jacket is a must in winter. Our Vessels have reverse cycle air-conditioning for your comfort.
- Sunglasses: Polarized sunglasses make it easier to see into the water and spot the sharks from on board.
- Boat appropriate soft-soled shoes - not thongs
- Space is limited, small bags are appreciated.
Exclusive Hire Options
Shark Cage Diving & Sea Lion tours
Our vessels are available for exclusive hire for Shark Cage Diving and Swim With the Sea Lions.
Exclusive hire options give flexibility to departure and arrival times, crewing, catering and offer complete privacy to guests throughout the booking process and whilst on board.
We offer peak and off peak prices for exclusive hire, please contact our team for more information.
Other Exclusive Hire options
Our well-equipped vessels and adaptable crew are available for exclusive hire for activities outside of our tour options for an hour, a day a week or longer. Please contact our General Manager to discuss
- Transfer of personnel, equipment and fuel to offshore islands and vessels.
- Deployment and retrieval of research equipment.
- Underwater surveys and dive support.
- Commercial divers available.
- Film crews with a licensed drone pilot available.
- Vessel relocation/delivery and manning up to Master Class 4 and Marine Engine Driver 1.
Calypso Star Videos
Contact our Office on:
Telephone +61 (8) 8682 3939
Fax +61 (8) 8682 6877
Office Location 3/10 South Quay Boulevard, Port Lincoln SA 5606
Postal PO Box 2058, Port Lincoln, South Australia, 5606
Dive Locations - see a Google map of our Dive Locations
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm
Saturdays & Public holidays 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sundays 10:00am - 2:00pm*
PLEASE NOTE OUR PHONE IS AVAILABLE 24 HOURS