Shark & Sea Lion Combo
The first tour in Australia where you can now Swim with the Australian Sealions at either Hopkins or Grindal Island and then shark cage dive with the magnificent Great White Sharks at Neptune Island Marine Park all in the same day saving you both time and money!
This tour has limited departures throughout the year. Please check our calendar for available dates.
Departing Port Lincoln enjoy a scenic cruise to a remote island for a lunch stop before making your way to either Hopkins or Grindal Islands. Enjoy the afternoon swimming with the adorable endangered Australian Sealions. From here we make our way to Neptune Island Marine Park to continue the aquatic adventure and cage dive with Great White Sharks! Shark cage diving time is the same as that of our day tour.
11.00am tour includes a fully cooked hot dinner at sea! After diving is completed the bar opens for a sunset/twilight cruise back to Port Lincoln!
During some months this tour also boards at 6.30am and on this trip the tour maybe run in reverse.
Adult spectator – $540*
Adult diver – $640
Child spectator – $440*
Child diver – $540
*Additional $100.00 payable if you decide on the day to dive in the cage – Price includes the use of our 7mm wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves and mask. Payment can be may on board the vessel.
Seniors Discount of 10% is available upon presentation of a current Seniors Card. Bookings must me made direct with the office to apply. The Seniors Discount is not available on charters that operate on Saturday's, Public Holiday's or during the months of December and January.
PLEASE NOTE - In the event that the weather conditions are not favourable to Swim with the Sealions, the tour will operate as a Twilight Shark Cage Diving charter. Guests will then have the option to either receive a refund of $135 or choose to join a Swim with the Sealions charter at no charge on another day.
- Children under the age of 8 are only allowed to enter the water at the Skippers discretion on the day.
- Please book all children under the age of 8 on as a Spectator and if they are permitted to dive the $100 dive upgrade is payable on the day.
- All children under the age of 16 require adult supervision at all times.
- If they are in the water their supervising adult is required to also be in the water at all times. If the child or the adult exit the water the adult or the child will also be required to do so.
- Any guest under the age of 18 needs to have their waiver form signed by a parent or guardian.
- Full days charter boarding at either 11.00am or 6.30am
- Length of tour is approximately 12 hours
- Operates from October through to May. Dates outside of these months please contact us
- Maximum of 25 passengers
- No minimum passengers required
- Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit & Fins
- Tea, coffee & water. Soft drinks and alcohol available to purchase
- 11.00am tour - Morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, cooked dinner and light refreshments all day
- 6.30am tour - Breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and light refreshments all day
Those who choose not to Swim with the Sealions may join the Captain in the tender boat to observe the Sealions.
- 60 foot MV Calypso Star - the fastest vessel to Neptune Island Marine Park.
- Fully Air-conditioned saloon/bridge, coffee machine, toilets and hot water shower on board
- Huge main deck and swim platform
- Large shark cage for up to 6 divers
- Boat tender to assist you into the water
- Soft drinks, bottled water and alcohol available for purchase
- Souvenirs available on board
- GoPro hire available on board
Departs from the behind the Marina Hotel, Cape Baron Place, Port Lincoln.
- Please arrive promptly at either 11.00am or 6.30am for a scheduled departure time
- Pre booked transfers from accommodation places are available for $10 per person return. Please make sure this is booked prior to 5.30pm the day before your charter.
How to book?
Click here to book on line is the easiest way! Calypso Star Charters has the latest secure technology, however, if you would prefer to download and print this form, you can complete it then send by email or fax to +61 (8) 8682 6877
Shark Research Donation - Flinders University
- Flinders University's Southern Shark Ecology Group was awarded a Monitoring and Research contract by DEWNR for 3 years from July 2016. This research monitors the visitation patterns and temporary residency period of the sharks that we see. Information is used in the dynamic management of the Shark Cage Diving Industry to guide decisions regarding Non Activity Days. In addition to the contracted research, Flinders University excels in White Shark research and collaborates with research institutions around the world.
- Calypso Star Charters is a proud supporter of Dr Charlie Huveneers and his team. Charlie is a frequent guest on board our charters, tagging sharks and deploying or retrieving monitoring equipment. We provide shark images that are used in a growing ID catalogue. The high frequency of our charters assists in gaining a better understanding of the visitation patterns as some sharks only visit for a day or two each year.
- We are proud to pass on your donations to Flinders University to assist funding White Shark research outside of the monitoring program.
Click here to read more from Dr Charlie Huveneers
GoPro Hire $50
- Hire of the GoPro and the purchase of an 8GB micro SD card with adapter
- If you want to capture loads of footage and don’t think that one card is enough, you can upgrade on board to a 16GB card
Highlights Photos $35
- Our underwater cameras are available for all to use
- Our crew will also take photos throughout the day including a shot with our replica jaws, a shot of your group before the dive, an individual shot of you entering the shark cage and other candid shots throughout the day
- A USB of digital photos is compiled using all good quality photos from the day, along with some great snaps and footage from our archives.
A collection of photos from each charter will also be uploaded to our Facebook page. Please make sure you like us to keep updated!
The Shark & Sea Lion Combo itinerary
After departing the Port Lincoln Marina enjoy a boat cruise to the days lunch stop at either Taylors or Grindal Island.
Upon arrival at Hopkins Island, wetsuits, masks and snorkels are provided and we are ready for the most playful swim ever. One of our crew will be in the water with you at all times. Once in the water, the Sea Lions entice you to come and play. With summersaults and swirls they glide effortlessly past.
After approximately an hour of swimming it is time to climb back onto the boat, a hot shower awaits and the coffee machine is ready!
From here we head to Neptune Islands Marine Park for an afternoon of shark cage diving. Upon arrival divers are formed into groups of 5 and jump in and enjoy approximately 45 minutes dive time (the same amount of time as the day tour)
Enjoy a fully cooked dinner at sea and they enjoy a twilight trip home enjoying a beverage from our licenced bar!
A benefit of this tour when it boards at 11.00am is you can fly in the morning of the trip and you are only required to stay the one night in Port Lincoln for the time poor travellers!
Tours are not operated every day; we are committed to minimizing the impact to the Sealion colonies we visit. Please check our calendar for availability or contact our office.
During some months this tour also boards at 6.30am. On this trip the tour maybe run in reverse and breakfast is served instead of dinner. Length of the tour is approximately 10-12 hours.
We are the only operator in Australia that publicises current and historic sightings!
Use this to help you decide on the best time to come. As we are dealing with a nomadic creature in its natural environment, we cannot suggest when would be the best time. We provide this information to be open and honest with all our guests to help you make an informed decision!
Our average daily success rate since January 1st 2011 is 85%
Recent Great White Shark Sightings
NON ACTIVITY DAYS - Non Activity Days were imposed by the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources in 2013 as a recommendation by the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation). They are a strategy to minimise any potential impact on shark behaviour, site visitation pattern and changes to temporary residency period of sharks to Neptune Islands. 4 days per fortnight are designated as Non Activity Days and all one day operators adhere to the same schedule.
No shark policy
Everyone knows that when dealing with nature there are definitely NO GUARANTEES. We want to make sure that you are well informed about our Shark Policy and that your expectations are reasonable. We can surely do our utmost to ‘lure’ the Great White to us within government specified guidelines however being the wonderful, impulsive & unpredictable creatures that they are we simply cannot change that.
Shark activity varies year to year. To assist you with making your decision on the best time to travel please visit our shark sightings calendar. See our shark sightings
Whilst every effort is made to attract the sharks to our boat, in nature there can be no guarantees. In the event that we don’t see any Great White Sharks, those people who have paid as divers will be refunded $100 taking them back to a spectator price. Refunds will be processed via the same method as the payment was received and processed within seven days of a tour.
All adult passengers will be given a $200 voucher (Children receive $150) to return within a period of 12 months from the date of issue.
THESE VOUCHERS ARE NOT TRANSFERRABLE TO ANYONE ELSE AND PROOF OF ID WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN YOU NEXT CHOOSE TO BOOK.
If no sharks are sighted on the second trip, a voucher will be issued for the third trip at $100 per person, to come on board as a diver.
If no sharks are sighted again on subsequent trips, a voucher will be issued at $100 per person to come on board as a diver.
What to bring
To ensure the comfort of your trip you will need to bring:
- Bathers and a towel.
- Your camera, if you have one. If you do not we do have GoPros on board you can to hire and a highlights package is available to purchase.
- Charging cables. USB points are available on our vessels.
- Comfortable clothing: Remember to pack some warm clothes as it can get cool on the water (even in summer). A warm jacket is a must in winter. Our vessels have reverse cycle air-conditioning for your comfort.
- Sunglasses: Polarized sunglasses make it easier to see into the water and spot the sharks from on board.
- Boat appropriate soft-soled shoes - not thongs
- Space is limited, small bags are appreciated.
Shark Cage Diving Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question we have not answered on our website?
Can you please email us the question so firstly we can answer it and secondly maybe add it to the FAQ's for other people who could be wondering the same? Thanks!
Click here for a pdf version of our brochures
Sea Lions Frequently Asked Questions
Exclusive Hire options
Shark Cage Diving & Sea Lion Tours
Our vessels are available for exclusive hire for Shark Cage Diving and Swim with the Sealions.
Exclusive hire options give flexibility to departure and arrival times, crewing, catering and offer complete privacy to guests throughout the booking process and whilst on board.
We offer peak and off peak prices for exclusive hire, please contact our team for more information.
Other Exclusive Hire options
Our well-equipped vessels and adaptable crew are available for exclusive hire for activities outside of our tour options for an hour, a day a week or longer. Please contact our General Manager to discuss
- Transfer of personnel, equipment and fuel to offshore islands and vessels.
- Deployment and retrieval of research equipment.
- Underwater surveys and dive support.
- Commercial divers available.
- Film crews with a licensed drone pilot available.
- Vessel relocation/delivery and manning up to Master Class 4 and Marine Engine Driver 1.
Calypso Star Videos
Contact our Office on:
Telephone +61 (8) 8682 3939
Fax +61 (8) 8682 6877
Office Location 3/10 South Quay Boulevard, Port Lincoln SA 5606
Postal PO Box 2058, Port Lincoln, South Australia, 5606
Dive Locations - see a Google map of our Dive Locations
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm
Saturdays & Public holidays 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sundays 10:00am - 2:00pm*
PLEASE NOTE OUR PHONE IS AVAILABLE 24 HOURS