Swim with the Sea Lions
One of the most interactive wildlife tours you can do! Come on board our Advanced Eco Certified tour and see why the Australian Sealions are nick named the ‘puppies of the sea’
A half-day tour to either Hopkins, Blythe, Grindal or Langton Island meet the endangered Australian Sealions. We are very privileged to have the opportunity to swim with these gorgeous animals in their natural environment.
All prices are in Australian Dollars (AUD) and include GST (10% GST).
Click here for conversion information.
Child (16 & under): $135
Family (2 adults & 2 children): $560
- If you book a Shark Cage Dive and a Swim with the Sea lions tour you receive a 25% discount off the Sea lion swim!
Seniors Discount of 10% is available upon presentation of a current Seniors Card. Bookings must me made direct with the office to apply. Only one promotional discount will apply for each product. For example with the multiple tour and the seniors discount, only the higher value will apply. The Seniors Discount is not available on charters that operate on Saturday's, Public Holiday's or during the months of December and January.
- Children under the age of 8 are only allowed to enter the water at the Skippers discretion on the day.
- All children under the age of 16 require adult supervision at all times.
- If they are in the water their supervising adult is required to also be in the water at all times. If the child or the adult exit the water the adult or the child will also be required to do so.
- Any guest under the age of 18 needs to have their waiver form signed by a parent or guardian.
- Half day tour – approximately 4.5 hours.
- The journey to and from the island is around 1.5 hours.
- Operates from October through to May
- Maximum of 25 passengers.
- Minimum of 4 passengers required for this trip to operate.
- 7.45am boarding includes breakfast, tea/coffee and light refreshments.
- 11.00am boarding includes lunch, tea/coffee and light refreshments.
- Mask, snorkel, wetsuit & fins.
- Those who choose not to swim are able to join the Captain in the tender boat to get closer to the sealions.
- 60 foot MV Calypso Star
- Fully Air-conditioned saloon/bridge, coffee machine, toilets and hot water showers on board.
- Huge main deck and swim platform, dual ladders for access to the water.
- Boat tender to assist you into the water
- Soft drinks, bottled water and alcohol available for purchase.
- Souvenirs available on board
- GoPro hire available on board
Depart from the behind the Marina Hotel, Cape Baron Place, Port Lincoln.
Please arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Pre booked transfers from accommodation places are available for $10 per person return. Please book the transfers before 5.30pm the day prior to your charter.
What to bring
To ensure the comfort of your trip you will need to bring:
- Bathers and a towel.
- Your camera, if you have one. If not we do hire our GoPros on board.
- Charging cables. USB points are available on our vessels.
- Comfortable clothing: Remember to pack some warm clothes as it can get cool on the water (even in summer). A warm jacket is a must in winter. Our vessels have reverse cycle air-conditioning for your comfort.
- Boat appropriate soft-soled shoes - not thongs
- Space is limited, small bags are appreciated.
How to book?
Click here to book on line is the easiest way! Calypso Star Charters has the latest secure technology, however, if you would prefer to download and print this form, you can complete it then send it via email or fax to +61 (8) 8682 6877.
Click HERE to subscribe to our company newsletter
Follow our Facebook page
The Sea Lion tour itinerary
Upon arrival at the island, wetsuits, masks and snorkels are provided and we are ready for the most playful swim ever. Our crew lower our tender vessel into the water, which will transport you in closer to shore. One of our crew will be in the water with you at all times. Once in the water, the Sealions entice you to come and play. With summersaults and swirls they glide effortlessly past.
Simply float in the water with an out stretched hand, stay nice and calm and let them approach. The more twists and turns you do the more they will play, and enjoy being one on one with the Australian Sealion!
Sealions are endangered and our permit is strict. We are not permitted to be too close to the beach and at all times we need to remember that they are endangered and must not approach or intimidate them. After approximately an hour of swimming it is time to climb back onto the boat, a hot shower awaits and the coffee machine is ready!
Tours are not operated every day, we limit visiting any specific site to a maximum of 4 times per week. We are committed to minimizing the impact to the Sealion colonies we visit. Please check our calendar for availability or contact our office.
Sea Lions Frequently Asked Questions
A lot is being done to help the plight of the Australian Sealions.
Check out this short video which outlines some of the research being undertaken by Simon Goldsworthy at SARDI to help us understand more about the Sealions.
Through a better understanding we will be better able to help the Sealions achieve population growth as sadly their numbers have declined over the past 10 years.
Exclusive Hire options
Shark Cage Diving & Sea Lion Tours
Our vessels are available for exclusive hire for Shark Cage Diving and Swim With the Sea Lions.
Exclusive hire options give flexibility to departure and arrival times, crewing, catering and offer complete privacy to guests throughout the booking process and whilst on board.
We offer peak and off peak prices for exclusive hire, please contact our team for more information.
Other Exclusive Hire options
Our well-equipped vessels and adaptable crew are available for exclusive hire for activities outside of our tour options for an hour, a day a week or longer. Please contact our General Manager to discuss
- Transfer of personnel, equipment and fuel to offshore islands and vessels.
- Deployment and retrieval of research equipment.
- Underwater surveys and dive support.
- Commercial divers available.
- Film crews with a licensed drone pilot available.
- Vessel relocation/delivery and manning up to Master Class 4 and Marine Engine Driver 1.
Calypso Star Videos
Contact our Office on:
Telephone +61 (8) 8682 3939
Fax +61 (8) 8682 6877
Office Location 3/10 South Quay Boulevard, Port Lincoln SA 5606
Postal PO Box 2058, Port Lincoln, South Australia, 5606
Dive Locations - see a Google map of our Dive Locations
Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:30pm
Saturdays & Public holidays 9:00am - 3:00pm
Sundays 10:00am - 2:00pm*
PLEASE NOTE OUR PHONE IS AVAILABLE 24 HOURS