Calypso Star Charters was a Carbon Neutral company from July 2016 to June 2019, offsetting 100% of our carbon emissions associated with vessel operation (fuel and oil), electricity, bait storage, passenger transfers and company travel.
After 3 years, our carbon auditing and offsetting provider Canopy, decided to focus on the creation of carbon credits (through its parent company, Greening Australia) and move away from auditing services.
During the 2016-2019 period, we purchased and retired close to 2,500 tonnes of emissions credits. Carbon credits are created and traded internationally and although ultimately beneficial in the financial support they provide to tree planting and renewable energy, our spending had no direct impact on the local economy or environment. We wanted to do better and be more active in our local community.
From September 2019
We have decided to set up the Calypso Star Charters Local Environment Fund.
- Funds will equal the cost of our current annual offsetting and will be distributed to local groups that demonstrate an environmental benefit.
- Funding applications are sought each year and to ensure that our funding levels remain relevant to our carbon emissions, the cost of carbon credits will be adjusted annually, and an emissions audit carried out every 3 years.
- Over the past 3 years, we’ve noticed that our emissions have remained stable.
Initially, our contribution will be $12,000 per year.
While we lose the title of being Carbon Neutral, what’s more important to us is knowing that our efforts will have a positive impact locally.
Through the support of Eco Tourism Australia, our new initiative continues to satisfy the requirements of their Climate Action Leader certification that we achieved in 2017.
Calypso Star Charters Local Environment Fund
We look forward to sharing stories of our initiatives and being able to support the local community in an environmentally conscious way.
Our 2019/2020 contribution will be $12,000.
Projects that we look to support include but are not be limited too -
- Replacing incandescent lighting with LED.
- Installation of window tinting and blinds to reduce air-conditioning.
- Solar powered lighting.
- Heat pump hot water systems.
- Solar PV generation (will not be considered if energy efficiency hasn't been optimised).
- Electric vehicles.
- Planting of native trees as carbon capture and animal habitat, erosion or salinity control.
- Composting and soil improvements.
- Establishment of community gardens/veggie gardens.
- Provision of seating, signage and trails to enhance the appreciation of nature.
- Reduction in the use of plastic and increased levels of recycling.
- Conservation of water and water efficiency upgrades.
Whether it's a compost bin, a move away from single use plastics, LED lighting, a rain water tank or seating made from recycled plastic, we look to support a wide range of local community groups, sporting clubs and schools.
Our emphasis is to use local contractors, recycled material and provide ongoing benefit.
Collaboration to leverage other funding streams for larger project will also be considered.
If you wish to apply for funding.
We look forward to sharing stories here of our initiatives and being able to support the local community in an environmentally conscious way.
Contact our Office on:
Telephone +61 (8) 8682 3939
Office Location 3/10 South Quay Boulevard, Port Lincoln SA 5606
Postal PO Box 2058, Port Lincoln, South Australia, 5606
Dive Locations - see a Google map of our Dive Locations
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 6.00pm
Saturdays - 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sundays & Public Holidays 10:00am - 2:00pm
PLEASE NOTE OUR PHONE IS AVAILABLE 24 HOURS
Telephone +61 (8) 8682 3939